Monday, January 2, 2012

Handmade Christmas: Pattern Review and a Tutorial Too!

 Happy New Year! 

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and the Happiest New Year yet! I had a wonderful time with family and friends. My son is 3 this year, so it was so fun experiencing the holidays through his eyes. 

Every year for the past nine years or so, I have made Christmas gifts for the ladies in my family. Each year is better than the last (pressure I put on myself...). This year, I decided to take on the task of making bath robes for everyone. I made EIGHT of them! Yikes! I was cutting it close, but I finished before Christmas. Barely.


The pattern I used was the Kimono-Style Bath Robe from Amy Butler's book, In Stitches. The pattern was pretty easy to follow, and the robes all turned out really good!  I didn't have any major problems, except for the neckline. I had trouble getting the fabric to lay flat and not bunch in certain places. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this pattern to y'all. After cutting the fabric (which I think for a size medium, you don't need all 3.75 yards recommended, maybe only 3.5 yards, if you are looking to save money) it only took about 2 hours to make one robe. All the ladies in my family absolutely loved their gifts! I really want to make myself one, but I can't decide on what fabric to use. Right now I think I am leaning towards this zig zag print from Ann Kelle, or perhaps one of these chevron prints from Riley Blake?


 In addition to the robes, I also made these adorable Easy-Peasy PJ Pants (that's what I'm calling them) for my nephew, Noah. It is not my pattern, I found this one through Pinterest, but I had to share because of how easy they were to make! From start to finish, they probably took me only 40 minutes or so. I want to make more! I will definitely make some for my kiddos...

Sadly, I decided that this year was my last to go handmade-crazy with Christmas gifts. I want to be able to relax and enjoy the holiday season next year, instead of being stressed and rushed making gifts for everyone. 

Did any of you make your gifts? I would love to hear from you! 

1 comment:

  1. such great ideas and easier to do than I thought! Thanks Morgan!! I think I'll be trying to make these this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...